Assignment 1 Submission 1a (2300690)

Dear Professor

 

I am writing to introduce myself.

I was educated in Mechanical Engineering by the school of Mechanical and Aeronautical Engineering in Singapore Polytechnic. I took interest in engineering when I saw how buildings were made and how machines function.

I believe all of us have our strengths and weaknesses. As engineers, we work as a team and therefore have to communicate with other engineers to build modern civilization as we see and know today. Everyone may have different ways of communicating and there are strength and weaknesses in communication. As a personal example, I may communicate with clarity, so other people can understand easily what I am trying to convey. However, I may be weak in being concise with words. This causes people to misunderstand what I am trying to convey.

I believe it is important to set goals for what we do so we have a better understanding of how far or near we are to achieve the goals. I have two goals for doing engineering. First, I hope to acquire relevant engineering knowledge to sharpen by skills for engineering work in the future. Second, I hope to be able to communicate more effective with other people, so people can more easily understand what I am trying to convey.

We are in general different from each other, and all of us are unique. I could be different from others due to my ability to speak multiple languages. This could be an advantage when we go to places where English is very foreign locally.

Thank you for reading.

 

Yours Sincerely

Yao Yang

Comments

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dear Yao Yang,

    Thanks for writing and posting this letter. You address most of the key components of the brief but rather than describe generalities -- Everyone may have different ways of communicating and there are strength(es) and weaknesses in communication. -- I'd like to see more precise details.
    What exactly is your clear communicaion strength? What specific example would illustrate that?
    What is a weakness you have, and what is one example of that in context.

    Here is another general statement: "We are in general different from each other, and all of us are unique."

    Why tell me something I know? This letter is an opportunity for you to explain to me what I don;t know about you. You explain that you speak other languages, correct? Explain that. Which languages? How did you come to elarn those?

    This letter is mostly fluent, but it can be improved in terms of being faithful to the demands of the brief. Please go to the learning portfolio page in the assignments folder and review that. In it, you should also note that you need to explain your goals for the module. Have you done that?

    Luckily, this is a first draft. I hope to see a more significant intro in draft 2. I also look forward to learning more about you this term.

    Thank you!

    Brad





    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey Yao Yang, I left a comment here yesterday. Were you able to see it?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Yao Yang,

    I liked that you had given a short introduction about your educational background and how you were drawn in to engineering. However, you missed out your name in the introduction. Your salutation, "Dear Professor", is missing out a name, for example, Dear Professor Blackstone.

    The part where you state you communicate with clarity but may have difficulty in delivering conciseness of your words, and state that there would be misunderstanding. I think these two statements are contradicting.

    The paragraph about the set goals you have have some grammatical error. For example, "communicate more effective", it should be effectively.

    Overall, this letter gives me a better understanding about you and the goals you hope to achieve. Great job and keep up the good work!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog